Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The lowered expectations of web applications


I find it interesting that consumers continue to put up with more and more “bugs” in the software and appliances we use. Today, in trying to publish my last post, I had to try 3 times to get blogger to accept the entry, including getting the wonderful page to the right.

While hardware appliances are better, I run into the same thing with my wide area wireless broadband connection. The first trouble shooting step is to reboot the wireless unit to see if that solves the problem.

Then just recently after getting back from vacation, I found that my satellite TV DVR service had been deactivated. When calling customer service to get it re-instated, it took the representative a couple tries to get it working. He finally had to first de-provision my DVR service and then re-activate it.

I guess the “benefit” for technologists is that we don't have to work so hard to build good products ;-)

No comments: